Never forgotten musical memories past that determined our life
Listening to a song; Stari Pjer - text & music. Đ. Novković
coins.mp3 Spare change
In 1962. a big earthquake hit and with its power of 7,2 degrees according to the Richter scale radically changed the entire life of people living in this beautiful and interesting place.Until that time all the inhabitants of Tučepi lived in several small hamlets (Potpeć, Srida Sela, Šimići, Čovići, Postup) located under mountain Biokovo (1762 m). They survived working hardly on their barren land in Tučepi, on the mountain slope of Biokovo, just like the one where our beautiful apartments are today. Generations of Tučepi population was born and died living that kind of life. After the earthquake in the early 60’s more and more inhabitants of Tučepi moved closer to the sea, building new houses and trying to survive starting new activity – tourism. With that the old Tučepi hamlets started dying but also it was the time of formation of Tučepi as we know it today.Until then, on a narrow strip of coast there were almost no residential buildings.
Several patrician summer houses, a couple of fishing settlements and Jadran hotel were the only objects situated along the beach in Tučepi. Further development of tourism leeds to rapid urbanization of coastal areas, besides private homes hotels, school, promenade, harbor, post office, fire station, bank, pharmacy and everything else that makes Tučepi today was built during that time.
Although Tučepi is first mentioned in 1434., in the Charter of Kreševo, its history is much older. Near Tučepi the existence of human communities alomst 6000 years b. c. (cave Bubnjevača, Makarska) has been proven, yet for Tučepi no such evidence is found. It is certain that Tučepi has been inhabited during Illyrian times. The earliest indicator of Tučepi population was a demolished illyrian hill (above Sride Sela, V.-VI. century b.c.) as well as a series of older tumuli (Biokovo, Volicija, Sutvid, Ravnice).
After all, one of the theories about the origin of the name Tučepi is related to the Illyrians. Illyrian word for Tučepi is place near the source. One of Tučepi characteristics is large number of sources of drinking water. Probably the first Greek colonists have sailed across the Tučepi part of the Adriatic sea. Although their records were not found on land, findings from the close seabed (hellenistic anchor, Podgora, military hemlet, Makarska) points us to this. Terrain rich with surface ceramics as well as series of other findings bear testimony about the stay of Romans in this region. Next to the hotel Neptun, on Gradac and Porače rustic villas were located. Slightly larger villa rustica was pinpointed on area Okrumnice. At the eastern end of the village, on the southern slopes of the hill Sutvid stelae with inscriptions were discovered, human skeleton graves, various graves offerings and several specimens of Roman coins (II.-IV.century.). Unfortunately, most of these sites are waiting for adequate archaeological research and presentation of findings to the general public.
Medieval history begins with the arrival of the Croats in the VII.-VIII.c. Upon arrival they quickly accepted skills needed for life in new environment, in particular, the religion – Christianity. Loyalty to the new accepted religion left us a legacy of remarkable cultural heritage in the form of large number of religious buildings, churches and chapels. Built throughout the history most of it survived until today.
-At the top of Sutvid, on prehistoric site, the foundations of the church of St. Vid are located. It is assumed that when the Croats came to this area in VII.c., they worshiped their god Svevid and after having been christened they turned the pagan temple into a Christian church.
-At the foot of mountain Biokovo, above Sride Sela, the remains of old church of St.Martin with a necropolis from XI. or XII. century were discovered ( state protection, reg. no. 12 ).
-The church of St. Jure from the end of XII. and beginning of XIII. century is located in the southwest of the village, not far from the coast, near hotel Neptun. It was built on the foundation of early Christian church (V.-VI. century), early villa rustica (I.century). It was first mentioned in 1311. in the asset register of the parish church. Medieval necropolis is next to the church. On the site there is a stele from the Ist century which is considered to be the earliest sepulchral monument on the coast of Makarska. It has been considered to be the grave stone of the doge Peter I.Candian who died, not far from the site, in the naval battle with Neretvanians on September 18th 887.
-St. Kate is located in the village above Šarić house. It was first mentioned in 1541.in property list of the parish.
-Church of our Lady of birth was built from the ground after the earthquake in cut stone from 1963.- 1965. on the site of an earlier church from the XVIII. century, first mentioned in 1703. During the reconstruction of this baroque church, architectural decorative elements were discovered in the ground, parts belonging to the early Christian church (V.-VI. ct.). The church was completely restored in 2003. The church is under state protection (Reg. No. 104.). In front of the western facade there are four medieval plates with decorations typical for that age: a sword and a shield with a rose or a crescent and a cross over the board.
-Church of St. Mihovil is located below hamlet Grubišić in Potpeć, it was built in XVIII. century by M. Grubišić. It was restored in 2002.
-The parish church of St. Anthony of Padua was built in Srida Sela in 1898.-1901.of cut stone in neo-romanic style.The old church of St.Anthony was above the old parish house and today in that place the chapel of St. Roko is located. The church was destroyed in the fire in 1891. In 1898. began the construction of today’s parish church of St. Anthony in Srida Sela. It was built in 1602. Next to it a bell tower was built in 1747., but the following 1748. it collapsed during storm. In the church there is organ made by master M. Heferer from 1912. Although the population moved closer to the sea, this church is still parish church.
-St.Roko above the old parish house was built in 1924. on the foundations of the bell tower of the old church of St.Ante.
-Construction of church of St. Nikola Tavelić located above Adriatic highway on Kraj started in 1974. by the design of architect Ante Rožić. Its lower part for Catehism hall, was completed and blessed on February 19th 1978. Above the hall in 1984. began the construction of the church which was completed and dedicated on November 18th 1989. In 1991. a bell tower was built next to the church, its design was made by engineer Ante Rožić. The church is a modern concrete building in a shape of a tent. In the churchyard there is a monument dedicated to Ante Šimić, patriot and national educator.
From XV. till XVII. century Turks ruled these areas, even later, during the establishment of the Venetian rule, during XVIII. century, due to specific position on the border with Ottoman Empire, local population participated in the Venetian-Turkish conflicts. From this period, on broader area of Gornji Tučepi, several fortifications and fortified residential buildings were preserved – tower with characteristics of popular architecture: Šarić tower, Bušelić tower, Lalić tower, in the villages that served as defense against Turkish attacks.
On the coast there are three baroque summer houses from the 18th century, built by wealthy members of noble families Grubišić, Ivanišević and Kačić.The most impressive is the summer residence of abbot Klement Grubišić – today’s hotel “Kaštelet”. During his journey through Dalmatia Alberto Fortis (1741.-1803.) stayed in summer residence Kaštelet. History says that it was here during his time that the first known discussion about the old croatian script – Glagolitic was held.
Here you can read about Tučepi after 1962.